Friday, May 6, 2011

how my leadership style has evolved

as a little freshman, I came onto the basketball team as a meek and quiet leader. during high school I was too afraid to hurt people's feelings so I didn't lead to my full potential. however, when I got to college and joined the leadership minor, I saw my leadership style evolve right before my eyes. The first classes I took were leadership in organizations and leadership in groups. These two groups opened my eyes and heart to what leadership really meant to my life and how it could help me make the teams I am on more effective. After taking those two classes, I had the privilege to take two classes, women in leadership & leadership in youth and services, it was in these two classes that my heart fell in love with being a leader. Throughout these two classes I was able to asses my leadership style and see what I needed to change and work on. the biggest characteristic trait that has evolved throughout my leadership journey is the strength and powerful personality that has come. My first two years in college I was easily taken advantage of. however, through an activity we just did in my leadership seminar class I realized I need to be aware of how powerful my leadership style may be. Although, I have come a long way from the meek and timid leader I used to be. I have learned that a leader needs to be able to connect with their followers, but also learn how to be a follower. On my basketball team I have learned how to do both. In appropriate situations I have had to be an agentic leader and say the tough thing, however I am also able to be a communal leader when I am able to mentor the younger players. Without leadership classes that have challenged me, I would not have been able to take a step by and evaluate my leadership style. With this evaluation, I am able to help my basketball team as well as my personal life as well. I no longer allow people, friends or intimate relationships, take advantage of me or walk all over me. I have learned to stand up for myself and be a powerful woman leader (thanks to women in leadership!!). This evolution has not been easy, but it has been worth it!

--very much like this picture, I started as an incomplete leader, but throughout my classes, I have evolved into a more complete leader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment